Guidelines Section 1
Below are the guidelines for Fencing, Gazebo, Decorative Wall applications. Please read these guidelines and then complete the online application that immediately follows these guidelines. You will be completing this application online and submitting the application directly to the ARC.
Who to contact at Martin County for fencing, gazebo, and decorative wall information/permits:
John Tobey (772-288-5956) Engineering Department 2401 SE Monterey, Stuart, Florida 34956 (You should contact Mr. Toby first concerning placement of Fences, Decorative Walls etc.)
Building Department 900 SE Ruhnke Street, Stuart, Florida 34994
Building Permits 772-288-5916 Inspections 772-288-5916
Fencing, Gazebo & Decorative Wall Guidelines
Fencing, gazebos, and decorative walls must be placed on member properties per Martin County Regulations, which requires compliance with set back, property lines, height requirements, and environmental compliance (Wetland Preserves, Tortoise Preserve, and C-23 Canal). The Owners of parcels 1 through 36, which abut the Gopher Tortoise Preserve, shall not fence that portion of their parcel so the Gopher Tortoises to have free access to their parcels.
1. All fences must be metal. The approved colors for fencing are white or in the earth tone color family such as black, bronze, or dark green.
2. Front yards may not be fenced. Fencing may not extend beyond the front elevation of the house.
3. The following types of fencing cannot be approved.
• Highly decorated fencing or fencing with figurines.
• Two tone fencing.
• Wire mesh fencing including chicken wire fencing.
• Split rail fencing.
• Wood fencing.
• Chain link fences.
• Vinyl fencing except as a child barrier for swimming pools to meet code requirements.
4. Gazebos will be considered on a case–by-case basis under the following conditions.
• Gazebos may be placed in the back yard only. Gazebos will only be approved if they are sized appropriately for the area chosen, are not offensive to neighbors,
enhance the architecture of your home, and meet Martin County requirements for foundations and lot placement restrictions.
• All requests must include a landscape plan, which must be approved by the ARC.
• Per section 6.2 of the WindStone Covenants, “Owners” must paint and maintain the structure(s) which would include any approved Gazebo.
5. Decorative Walls will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please submit the concept of your request and the ARC will consult with you on this request.
PLEASE BE COGNIZANT OF YOUR NEIGHBOR’S FEELINGS WHEN APPLYING FOR A FENCE/GAZEBO/DECORATIVE WALL---THE ARC WILL CONSIDER THIS FACTOR IN THE FINAL APPROVAL PROCESS
Fencing change to existing “Owner” home
Please complete and submit this on-line application
Plans can be digitized and attached or paper plans dropped off with an ARC member. Please indicate how you wish to submit the plans:
A member will contact me to make arrangements.
It is the responsibility of the WindStone Owner to secure a Contractor who is licensed and properly insured.
NOTE: A Martin County Permit is required for these changes. It is owner’s responsibility to secure a Martin County permit.